Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 8: Advice

Day 8: A piece of advice you have for others.

When people show you who they really are, believe them. I think that piece of advice can be attributed to Oprah, actually, but I've learned to take it to heart for myself.

I believe that people are mostly good and I love to give people the benefit of the doubt. Usually when someone does something despicable, I can't even process that it's true even when it's staring me right in the face. It takes a few jabs before I realize, "Hey, you're actually mean, dude!" But I've learned that life is too short and there are too many people to love to waste my time on people who play games, take advantage and are down right hurtful. It doesn't mean that the people I stop spending time with are "bad" people, not at all. But when they show me who they are, if it doesn't mesh with who I am, especially if it compromises who I am, it's easy for me to move forward without them as a key player in my life. This also doesn't mean that I cut them out of my life with hurtful dramatics, but they aren't a priority for me. This gets easier as I get older, not that it's always easy.

On the other side of the coin, it also helps me to see my true friends and family and appreciate who they really are. Unfortunately, I am not always the best at prioritizing time spent with many of them, but it's something I'm working on. Nobody is perfect, not even me (believe it or not! JUST KIDDING), but we all know the key moments when people show who they really are. Sometimes it's an awesome epiphany where you see such great goodness, but sometimes it's jarring and disheartening. Whatever it is, believe it when you see it; it might save you a lot of heartache.



5 comments:

  1. i tend to have the benefits of the doubts too. i love this advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard this on Oprah's lifeclass as well! I think this is so true, though sometimes I want to believe that I can trust anybody and everybody. The truth is that there are some people out there that you can't trust, for WHATEVER reason. And when they show us that, we need to BELIEVE it and move on, rather than making it about "us" and how "good of people" we are and everything. Learned this one the hard way, a bit...

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had to learn this the hard way as well. I've learned that I can still forgive and love the people who are mostly hurtful to me. But I can no longer place them on my priorities list anymore. It's not easy and I still struggle with it because I only think of the good times. Those good memories make me want to run back to them and make me want to have them back in my life. It's ok to remember and look at the good. But leave it at that.

    I love reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you read my blog! Thanks girl!! And I couldn't agree more, you put it perfectly!! I love and miss you! Hope you had a great Mother's Day!! xoxo

      Delete

Thank you so much for the feedback! Leave a note to let me know you dropped by and I'll come visit your blog, too! If I can't reach you by blog or email, I'll reply back right here shortly! Thanks again! xo