Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 18: Childhood

Day 18: Tell a story from your childhood. Dig deep and remember how you felt.

I'm the oldest in my family, so yes, I was very spoiled as a child. My parents gave me a lot of affirmation and, probably like most kids who receive a lot of affirmation, I thought everyone wanted to hear what I had to say. I was also pretty intelligent as a young kid, which only added to the affirmation I was given and the little ego that grew and grew.

 photo null_zps6b32923c.jpg
I mean, you have to have self confidence for those bows, am I right?
By the time I got to kindergarten, I was a 4 year old Type A personality ready to take on the world. I was nervous to integrate with kids my age (they weren't as impressed with me as the adults were), but I made friends nonetheless. It wasn't until one day when I was animatedly telling a classmate a story that my world was rocked: my classmate responded to my story with, "You talk too fast, you talk too much and you talk too loud." Woah. What? I mean, obviously I do. I still do. But her blunt accusation completely wiped out all my self-confidence. I was shattered.

 photo null_zps9cd4ae0b.jpg

For the most part, this a silly story that my family likes to tell all the time because of the little girl's accurate observation, but I really do think it impacted me and is at least in part why I have some social anxiety with people my age. I usually choose to be quiet until I trust people to accept me and I really think that little girl had a lot to do with it. Funny enough, I kept in touch with that girl all through school and always had this weird resentment toward her. It wasn't until I was in high school that I realized it was because of this story!

Can you trace any behavioral traits back to a childhood story? It's kind of crazy how something so small can make such a big impact!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for the feedback! Leave a note to let me know you dropped by and I'll come visit your blog, too! If I can't reach you by blog or email, I'll reply back right here shortly! Thanks again! xo