Monday, November 12, 2012

So you want to loom knit . . .

Lately a lot of friends and family have been wanting to get on the loom knitting bandwagon. I have been loom knitting for about 4 years now and it's always fun to spread the love!


I have tried crochet and haven't been able to pick it up... well, I pick up the crochet hook and throw it across the room {I'm serious}, but not the concept. I have yet to take a real class on either crochet or knitting with sticks, but loom knitting fills the void and I've been happy enough. I love sharing loom knitting with people who also have voiced frustration with traditional knitting & crochet, or even people who like to knit/crochet but loom knitting is easier/faster.


 If you want to start loom knitting, I highly suggest purchasing looms from Provo Craft's Knifty Knitter line. I have noticed a decline in availability of their looms and materials as new companies and stores have begun stocking their own versions. However, Provo Craft looms have been the best quality I have used. This is the set I recommend for getting started as it has everything I use on a regular basis. If you want to start out really basic, start with the round looms and make hats first. These are the looms I almost exclusively use:


Last year I did a tutorial for a simple loom knit cap. While it gets a lot of page views, I do recommend using YouTube in addition to the instructions that come with your loom(s). My favorite YouTube user for loom knitting is GettinItPegged and GoodKnitKisses is also a great resource. I have purchased supplemental loom knitting books, but nothing has taught me more than YouTube {save your money!}.


Aside from being able to quickly whip up scarves, hats and other knit goods, loom knitting {along with crochet and knitting with sticks} provides such a great way to bond with friends. I have had the best knitting nights with different friends {most of whom I've taught to loom knit}, and this is the best time of year to spend time knitting and chatting! :) Also, it's not the worst idea in the world to watch a Zac Efron movie and make inappropriate comments while loom knitting with friends. Just sayin'....
Zac Efron + Loom Knitting + Friends = Perfect Night
If you have any questions about loom knitting, let me know! I'm happy to help! My friend and I are probably going to take a knitting {with sticks} class soon, but we're super nervous! haha! Any encouragement or tips are appreciated!!

1 comments:

  1. which zac efron movie is this? i used to to knit! doesn't get too cold around here tho so it's a hard hobby to keep :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the feedback! Leave a note to let me know you dropped by and I'll come visit your blog, too! If I can't reach you by blog or email, I'll reply back right here shortly! Thanks again! xo