Friday, March 23, 2012

I Didn't Want To Like The Hunger Games

The truth is in the title. I honestly didn't even know what The Hunger Games was about when I decided I didn't want to give it a chance. I'll be honest, when something is over hyped it loses its appeal to me; and, quite frankly, the hype reminded me a little too much of Twilight.

A quick aside: I am not a fan of Twilight, but I do not condemn fans of the Twilight books because I am really happy that the series encouraged a lot of people to read who didn't enjoy reading before. I have no problem with something that encourages reading, even if I don't like whatever it is myself. Reading has given me such comfort, escape and adventure since I was 5 years old and I hope everyone would experience a love for reading like I have. No need to get into an altercation because we don't enjoy reading the same things. Harry Potter vs Twilight vs Hunger Games - we do we gotta fight, guys? It's not like we live in a Voldemort controlled Panem crawling with dueling vampires and werewolves and we gotta pick a side, right? (Then we might have a problem...).
So how do I put this delicately? It wasn't until my more "academic" friends started raving about The Hunger Games trilogy that it sparked my attention. I thought, "If so-and-so thinks they're good books, they must good books..."

Guys, they're really, REALLY good.

I think I read all 3 books in less than a cumulative week (although I had a short break between The Hunger Games & Catching Fire {my favorite} because of the Craft Hope hat project). When I finished Mockingjay, I was a serious wreck. A book has never affected me emotionally the way The Hunger Games Trilogy has. I still haven't fully figured out why psychologically this book turned me into a crying mess (really.), but I think a big part of it is that it made me wish I was brave like Katniss. Author Suzanne Collins doesn't create a "perfect" heroine; Katniss struggles with her own relate-able emotions, trying to do what is best given her reality. She's a girl who struggles to find the best way to follow her heart while balancing the negative repercussions of her actions, ultimately fighting not for herself but for her family. Who can't relate to that on some level?

The first book I read on my Kindle Fire - and I LOVED it!
I could gush about The Hunger Games all day, but I will spare you because you've probably already read it or you're probably going to (if you don't fall into either of these categories, you make me frown a lot). If you're bummed that I'm not going to go on and on and on about the books, feel free to email me and we can just banter back and forth about how much we love Peeta or how much you love Gale or how much I would have absolutely no problem being in the middle of a Peeta-Gale sandwich. Speaking of which, Peeta and Gale should totally open up a sandwich shop together, no? Peeta can bake the bread and Gale can hunt the... okay, maybe there's a conflict of interest there.

If you haven't read The Hunger Games Trilogy, please do it! You won't regret it (at least nobody I know has, and I think 8 people will have borrowed my copy of the book alone by the end of the week!). Even if you're a boy, don't be turned off by everyone saying, "Team Peeta" / "Team Gale"! haha! Tyler is kind of turned off by this, but he still read the first book! (And when I say, "kind of" turned off by it, it's mostly because I keep threatening to plaster big "TEAM PEETA" stickers on my car and then he threatens to burn the second book and then I get sad...).

Tomorrow Today I will be posting about my midnight Hunger Games movie experience including what I thought about the film adaptation. And no, I am not going to sit here and tell you I LOVED it, because I didn't (one of the few, I guess!). Stay tuned tomorrow . . !

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for the feedback! Leave a note to let me know you dropped by and I'll come visit your blog, too! If I can't reach you by blog or email, I'll reply back right here shortly! Thanks again! xo