Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Loving Others

Photobucket
{from here}

One of my biggest pet peeves is when single people mope around on Valentine's Day and cry, complain and seriously bemoan their existence without a partner. Sometimes known as "Single Awareness Day" or just a dumb holiday Hallmark created for profit, it saddens me that Valentine's Day has been simplified to this.

Photobucket
{from here}

I know you may be thinking that it's hard for me to understand when I have a boyfriend to share Valentine's Day with, but I have had my fair share of V-Days alone! I'm not saying it's easy to see everyone all mushy and romantic when you're aching to find your other half, but I've come to appreciate that love comes in all shapes and sizes and not just in the form of one solitary person to share life with.

Photobucket
{experiencing love with friends!}

The historicity of Valentine's Day is full of different rumors and tales that aren't clearly recorded or based in fact. One plausible idea, however, is that Valentine's Day was not intended to celebrate passionate love (eros) per se, but actually in celebration of Christian love (agape) as St. Valentine was martyred after refusing to renounce his Christian faith.

Photobucket
{experiencing more love with friends!}

I want to challenge you to take a look beyond the romance that's marketed on Valentine's Day and instead embrace the bottom line: LOVE. Celebrate the love you have for your family, your friends, your pet(s)! Heck, celebrate your love for chocolate! Celebrate that you have love in your life and that God has your relationship status covered.

Photobucket
{and yet again, the love never stops with friends!}

Love is not just something we receive, it is something we must give. Whether single, married, dating, engaged, divorced, widowed or anything else - I challenge you to give love this Valentine's Day! (You can even link up if you blog about it with my Knit Together Friday link up). Go show others that love comes in many ways and that you have more than enough to share.

By the way, if you truly are struggling with being single, pray about it.

Photobucket
Via Pinterest on this board, originally here.

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all the mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing."
-I Corinthians 13:1-3
findsomelove

5 comments:

  1. hahahaa love this! thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hopped over from the "find some love" link up..
    I just linked up a similar post to yours!

    I am married (just recently) so I am not in the single category for Valentine's Day, but it has always bothered me how ppl will cut down the holiday because they don't have a significant other!!
    Valentine's Day doesn't have to be shared with only a boyfriend or girlfriend!! :)
    You can share it with family and friends, and even ppl you don't know (like the soldiers serving our country overseas!)
    Loved this post!
    Following now :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post!! I completely agree with EVER. SINGLE. WORD of it!! :) Thank you soo much for sharing! And Thanks for linking up with us at the Find Some Love Fest!!

    All The Love In The Universe
    Digger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! We have had so much fun with the Find Some Love Fest link up! It's a great way to connect and support fellow bloggers.
    We are following you and would love for you to visit our blog.

    Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the feedback! Leave a note to let me know you dropped by and I'll come visit your blog, too! If I can't reach you by blog or email, I'll reply back right here shortly! Thanks again! xo