Thursday, October 13, 2011

Happy Birthday, Austin!

Seventeen years ago today I was awakened by my parents arguing in the living room. It was just before 4am and I could hear them bickering back and forth (which wasn't new, by any means!). My mom was 9-months pregnant and I vaguely remembered my dad whispering to me that he was taking her to the hospital to have the baby and he would hopefully be back soon- but they weren't leaving. Later I would come to find out that my mom was letting my dad know that she could not make it to the car, much less the hospital. Within the hour our house was filled with the Cypress firefighters of Station 17 (a now legendary group within my family history) who delivered my new baby brother, Austin Daniel, right there on our living room sofa. I know it sounds cliche to say, but I truly cannot believe it has been 17 years!

I am the oldest of 5 and Austin is the youngest, so naturally he was like my own personal baby doll and it's hard to believe that he's one year away from being an adult. Two years after Austin was born, my parents officially split up so I became my mom's primary helper with all the younger little ones, especially Austin. I feel like I have been blessed with a teensy window into what it feels like to be a mom and watch your child grow up. In one sense it's depressing to realize how fast time races. But when I look at what a smart, strong, independent and handsome young man my brother has become, I can't help but be so proud of him and happy that I got to be such a big part of his life growing up!



Photobucket



I admit the picture on the right is a year old (Halloween 2010) - my apologies!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUSTIN!!!

1 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! So glad I found you on the Wiegand's Linky. :) New follower!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the feedback! Leave a note to let me know you dropped by and I'll come visit your blog, too! If I can't reach you by blog or email, I'll reply back right here shortly! Thanks again! xo